In SS Peter and Paul's Place, just off Saint Patrick's Street, is the church of Saints Peter and Paul. This is the parish church of the parish of Saints Peter and Paul. Architecturally, it is one of the finest churches in the city. The foundation stone of the church was laid on 15 August 1859 and the church was dedicated for worship on 29 June 1866. It replaced an older church, built in 1786, which was entered from Carey's Lane and known as Carey's Lane Chapel.
The prime mover in the building of SS Peter and Paul's was Archdeacon John Murphy. He was a member of the wealthy family of brewers and had a most unusual early career for a future priest as he had worked for a time as a fur trader with the Hudson Bay Company in Canada. E.W. Pugin, a noted architect of the time, designed the church. Pugin's father, Augustus Pugin, was largely responsible for the revival of the Gothic style in architecture. The high altar was designed by C.C. Ashlin and executed by Samuel Daly. It was consecrated in August 1874. In 1875 a new pulpit, again designed by Ashlin, and sanctuary stalls were added.
At the present time there are plans for restoration work on the church.