Reverend John William Townsend Tuckey was rector of Saint Anne’s Chapel-of-ease in the Parish of Saint Mary Shandon in 1950-53. During his time as rector in that church, the bells of Shandon were silenced, in September 1951, as the metal supporting their weight was rusting and in danger of dropping the bells. In 1952 Rev. Tuckey produced this booklet to accompany his appeal for donations towards a fund of £1,000 needed to repair the support mechanisms of the well-known bells. After Rev. G. A. Salter became rector in Shandon in 1955, he reprinted a similar edition of Rev. Tuckey’s booklet.
Select the image below to open the booklet in PDF format (3Mb). Pages are text-searchable.