On 8 April 1957, Alderman Seán Casey, T.D., the Lord Mayor of Cork, unveiled a sculpture of the Cork Coat of Arms over the entrance to the Customs House in Cork. He was invited to perform the ceremony by the Cork Harbour Commissioners because, according to an old charter, the Lord Mayor of Cork is Admiral of the Port.
Marshal C. Hutson designed the sculpture and made a quarter-size plaster model of it. Thomas McCarthy & Sons of Copley Street cut the final version in Kilkenny limestone. It is twenty-three feet long and thirteen feet high in the centre. The sculpture replaced a sculpture of the coat of arms of the British royal family which was in very bad condition.
The three windows on the façade are twenty feet high and nine feet wide. The Customs House has been extensively refurbished internally in recent years.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Customs House(142KB)