A photograph of Cook Street at its junction with the South Mall sometime in the 1950s. The street is named after a member of the Cook family. The family was prominent in civic affairs in Cork in the seventeenth century.
The Victoria Theatre stood at number 26 Cook Street from 1838 to 1850. Frank Seymour managed the theatre. Seymour was one of the most colourful characters in Cork at the time. He was usually in financial difficulties and was a truly terrible actor. His nickname was 'Chouse' because of the way he pronounced the word 'chaos' and whenever he was listed to appear in a play the news would go around Cork that 'Chouse has come again!' His creditors once posted baliffs at the entrance to the theatre when he was to appear as the ghost in Hamlet. He avoided them by entering the theatre concealed in Ophelia's coffin.
In modern times the site of the old Victoria Theatre has been occupied by Woodwards Auctioneers.
Cook Street /Sráid Cook
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Cook Street (275KB)