The photograph shows Attiwell Hayes's house. Local historian Liam Ó hUigín suggests that this house was in the grounds of the North Mall Distillery on Reilly's Marsh. (St Vincent's Church and Panorama Terrace are visible in the background to the above photograph).
Attiwell Hayes was a brewer, miller and glass works owner in Cork in the late eighteenth century. In 1782, with Richard Rowe and Thomas Burnett, he established the Cork Glasshouse Company on Hanover Street in Cork. This was the first glasshouse in Cork. The firm continued in business until 1818. He also owned the Lee Mills, a large water-powered flour mill on the north channel of the Lee.
Hayes was well-known in eighteenth-century Cork as an eccentric. He once attended a masquerade ball in a small chariot drawn by a goat. The goat was one of Hayes's pets and it lived to such an age that it gave rise to the Cork saying "as old as Atty Hayes' goat". The saying was still common in Cork as late as the 1950s and 1960s.
His son, Sir Henry Brown Hayes, kidnapped Mary Pike and forced her into a marriage ceremony in Vernon Mount near Cork on 21 July 1797. Mary Pike, a wealthy heiress, was rescued by her family, and Sir Henry went into hiding. He surrendered himself for trial in 1801 and was transported to Australia on board the convict ship Atlas.
While in New South Wales, Henry supported the governor William Bligh, who had been captain of the Bounty at the time of the famous mutiny, against attempts to depose him.
Hayes was pardoned in 1812 and returned to Cork. He died in Vernon Mount in 1832. Mary Pike died in the same year, having suffered severe mental illness for some time.
Attiwell Hayes died in 1799 and is buried in the crypt at Christ Church in Cork.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Attiwell Hayes Residence(189KB)