The first Parnell Bridge across the south channel of the Lee is shown in the photograph. It replaced an earlier bridge called Anglesea Bridge. Daniel J. Galvin, the Mayor of Cork, officially opened Parnell Bridge on 18 November 1882. The bridge was designed by T. Claxton Fiddler and was named in honour of Charles Stewart Parnell. Calls to replace Angelsea Bridge had been made as early as 1863 but legal wrangles between Cork Corporation and various contractors delayed the construction of the new bridge. Present-day Parnell Bridge was opened by Peter Barry T. D., then Lord Mayor of Cork, on 24 May 1971.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Parnell Bridge, City Hall and view of South Channel PDF(191KB)