In the nineteen twenties and nineteen thirties George's Quay was a very busy quay where schooners and coasters delivered cargoes. The cargoes delivered consisted mainly of timber, salt and coal. In 1939 Haughton's Ltd., City Saw Mills was nearby on the South Terrace. Lunham Bros. (Cork) Ltd, the bacon curers, had a factory in Kemp Street, while the Southern Coal Co. Ltd. was situated on George's Quay itself. Parnell Bridge was then a swivel bridge and Clontarf Bridge could be lifted to allow the schooners and coasters access to the quay.
The large warehouse visible to the left of centre of the photograph, near the junction of Fr. Mathew Quay and Parliament Street, was formerly the property of a firm of Quaker merchants Harvey, Deaves and Harvey. The firm was prominent in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries. Reuben Harvey's residence at Pleasant Field in Blackrock later became the Ursuline Convent.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:George's Quay and Fr Mathew Quay PDF(193KB)