«Use Photo Gallery options on panel at left to view images.
The Cork Camera Club was founded in 1923 by Alec Day (1902-1980), a well known Cork businessman and a keen amateur photographer and antiquarian. Day inherited his love for photography from his father William (1874-1965) and grandfather Robert (1836- 1914). The Day family ran a saddlery business and sports shop in Cork for many years.
Other members of the Cork Camera Club included the noted local historian C.J.F. MacCarthy, Aidan McSweeny who owned a photographic equipment and supplies shop in Cork, and the film maker Arthur Ward. Many of the members were also members of the Cork Historical & Archaeological Society and the Cork Literary & Scientific Society.
Most of the photographs from the Cork Camera Club on this site show historic buildings and streetscapes. Photographs containing people are remarkable by their absence. This is untypical of the photographs taken by members of the Day family, which often show streets crowded with people, and reflects the selection of photographs donated to Cork City Library by the Cork Camera Club. A recently-published book, Forgotten Cork (Cork: Collins Press, 2004), compiled by Colin Rynne and Billy Wigham draws on a much wider selection of photographs from the Day collection, and includes many photographs of people going about their business in Cork. The photographs on these webpages were donated by the Cork Camera Club to Cork City Library in 1939. Cork City Libraries gladly acknowledge the generosity of the Cork Camera Club and the Day family and their successors in enabling us to make the images available on the web.
Perhaps the most remarkable of the photographs shown here is the photograph of the statue of George II on horseback. The statue was knocked down and removed in 1863; the photograph must have been taken prior to this, a mere 28 years after the production of the first paper negative.
Click on thumbnail photographs below to view larger images.