Maps of Cork : An Introduction

Maps are among the most important sources for tracing the development of a city through time. They are especially important for tracing the development of Cork, due to the almost complete destruction of the municipal records of city in fires in the courthouse in 1891 and in the old City Hall in 1920. The geography of Cork city is unusual. The centre of the city is built on what was a series of marshy lands in the tidal estuary of the river Lee. Many of the main streets were formed in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth centuries when the waterways between the islands were arched over with culverts carrying the water which still flows under the streets of the city.

The suburbs of the city initially developed on a north-south axis in the areas around Shandon to the north and Barrack Street to the south. Later, the eastern and western suburbs developed when the merchant princes left the centre of the city in the late eighteenth century and built their houses in Blackrock, Montenotte, and other fashionable suburbs.

The maps available in this section show the development of the city from the small, walled medieval city in 1545 to the much larger city of 1893.

 

 1545  1585 Pacata Hibernia  1601  1602
 1610 Speed  1655 Liberties  1690  1726 Carty
 1726 restored segment  1750 Smith  1750 Smith County Cork  1759 Rocque
 1760 Butts  1773 Rocque  1774 Connor  1789 Murphy
 1801 Beaufort  1832 Chalmers  1832 County  1832 Holt
 1852 Moore  1870 OSi  1872 Harper  1872 Wilkie
 1888 Guy  1893 Guy  1903 Bartholomew  1951 geographica
 1964 OSi      

BrowseAloud
Cork City Libraries, Grand Parade, Cork, Ireland.
Contact us: Tel. +353 21 4924900 | Fax. + 353 21 4275684 | Email: libraries@corkcity.ie