Saint Luke's Church of Ireland church shown in the illustration was the third church to stand on the site. The two previous churches, which served as chapels-of-ease to Saint Anne's Shandon, were pulled down as they could not cope with the increasing population of the area in the mid 19th century. Sir John Benson and William Hill designed the church in the Romanesque style. It was consecrated on 14 January 1875 and was the first church built by the Church of Ireland after the Disestablishment of the Church of Ireland Act of 1869.
The church was destroyed by fire on 9 February 1887 and was replaced by a new church designed by Hill which was consecrated on 8 February 1889.
The final act of worship in Saint Luke's took place on 2 March 2003. The parish merged once again with Saint Anne's, Shandon parish. The 1889 church now serves as a cultural centre.
Corresponding article from the Irish Builder