his tombstone is still to be seen. His widow, Deborah
in 1719, George Coates, esq.
[Kinsale Register and Cork
1718. April 12. RICHARD GOODMAN, P. Desertmore.
He was a native of county Cork, and son of Rev. Thomas
Goodman, Pecentor of Ross, q. v. He entered T.C.D. as Pen-
sioner on 27th March, 1675, being then aged eighteen.
became a Scholar in 1677.
From 1682 to 1691 he was Vicar Choral, Cork ; in 1687 he
was licensed to the curacy of St. Michael's; from 1689 to
1695 lie was R. V. Kilcully; from 1692 to 1696 he was V.
Rathclarin, and from 1692 to 1737, V. Ballymodan;
1696 to 1718 he was P. Killanully, and from 1696 to 1737, R.
Knockavilly and V. Brinny.
From 1705 to 1737 lie was R.
Besides the Cork livings he held, from 1695 to
1696, the Prebend of Rath, in Killaloe.
He died in 1737.
He married Hannah -?
but had no issue ; at least, in
his will (dated 1736, and proved 1737) he mentions none. He
wished to be buried near his mother, in the church of Bally-
modan, and bequeathed £20 to the poor of that parish.
1737. June 1. Vacant by death of RICHARD GOODMAN. [V.B.
1737. June 28. PERKINS CROFTON,A.M., P. Desertmore, R. Knocka-
villy, and V. Brinny. [F.F.]
1737. August 1. The Bishop leases to Archdeacon Crofton
6A. 3R. lr., part of which land was formerly held by Arch-
deacon Thomas Russell, and three acres formerly held by Rev.
and the field called "ye Rock," containing
2A. 2R. 18r., all in St. Finbarry's parish, for twenty-one years,
at £8 per an. ; and on 10th April, 1741, the Bishop renews
Crofton's lease of tenements, &c., in Rossearbery. [D.R.]
Perkins Crofton, son of Rev. Henry Crofton, was born in
the parish of Crossmoline, Killala diocese, and when sixteen
years old, entered T.C.D. as a Pensioner, on 9th June, 1720,
and graduated afterwards A.B. and A.M.
He was ordained Deacon at Dromore, on May 14,1727.
1736 he was made Archdeacon of Aghadoe, and in 1737 became
P. Desertmore, retaining his Archdeaconry until his death in
In 1745 he was Vicar-General of Cork and Ross.
He married, in 1740, Elisabeth Uniacke, of Mount Uniacke,
co. Cork, [Cloyne, M.B.] dau. of Capt. James Uniacke, by
1768. Dec. 13. JOHN BARRY,A.M., P. Desertmore.
He was horn in Cork, youner
son of Edward Barry, M.D.
(who was created a Baronet of' Ireland in 1775), by Jane,
daughter of Antony Dopping, Bishop of Ossory.
years of age he entered T.C.D. as Pensioner, on 17th January,
He was ordained Priest at Cork, on 21st January, 1753; and
in same year was V. Killaconenagh,
in Ross. He
that living in 1756, and held, from 1756 to 1768, the V.
He was P. Kilmaclenine, Cloyne, and P.
Desertmore, from 1768 to 1794 ; and also, from 1778 to 1794,
was Dean of Elphin.
He graduated A.M.in 1753, and LL.D. in 1768.
He married, in May 17 71, at St Mary's, Shandon, Sarah,
John Bateman, of Oak Park, co. Kerry ; and secondly,
in 1780, Anne Sican, by whom he had issue
a son, Edward,
who succeeded to the Baronetcy on the death (without heirs
male) of Sir Nathaniel, his uncle. Dean Barry's will was
proved on 2nd Sept., 17 91.
which being under £200
per an. in value, is now
united to R. V. Kilcully. now held by Bennett.
was, in 1799, Treasurer of Cloyne, q. V.
1807. J. W. Bennett lives at Middleton, in Cloyne, which be
holds by faculty.
28. WILLIAM BUTLER,A.B., P. Desertmore, per mortem
Butler, in 1817, was P. Ballyhooly, Cloyne,
1815. A new church was built on the site of the old church
of Desertmore, at cost of £553 16s. 11d., granted by late
Board of First Fruits.
1817. Feb 3. JAMES STEWART,A.M., P. Desertmore.
was afterwards V. Lislee, Ross, q. v.
1817. May 27. The new church
was consecrated under the
name of St. John.
1817 Oct. 17. Stewart
build a glebe-
estimated cost of £999 18s. 7d. [D.R.]
1817. Nov. 6. The present (1861) parish register begins.
1818. May 5. WILLIAM HARVEY, AM., P. Desertmore;
under £300. [D.R.] He became, in 1824, P. Kilnaglory, q. v.
1818. May 18. Harvey memorials for building
, and a com-
31st March, 1819 ; and on 3rd June, 1819, the
Bishop certifies for an outlay of .£999 18s.
of which £750
was a loan from Board of First Fruits.
1824. Oct. 19. ROBERTPRATT, A.B., P. Desertmore, certified under
£500 per annum in value.
1830. Protestant population, 40.
1837. Desertmore : a rectory, with cure ; two miles long by
nearly two broad, containing 3,844A. 2R. 23r. ; gross popu-
lation, 1,147 ; no Curate employed ; tithe composition, £350 ;
Fifty acres of glebe, valued at 20s.
per acre, £50
, subject to
visitation fees, 18s. Diocesan schoolmaster, lls. 3d. Desert-
more glebe-house built under the new acts
, at the cost of
£1,015 6s. 4
d. Brit., whereof £92 6s. lid. was