The Pavilion Cinema was one of the oldest cinemas in Cork. It opened for business on 10 March 1921. The first film screened there was D.W. Griffith's The Greatest Question. With 900 seats, it quickly established itself as one of the most popular cinemas in the city. It was the first cinema in Cork to be equipped with technology for the new 'talking' films. Its first 'talkie' was shown there on 5 August 1929. A fire caused major damage to the cinema in February 1930, but it reopened in June of the same year. The Pavilion restaurant was also popular with locals.
The Pavilion closed as a cinema in August 1989. The popular music store HMV now occupies the premises.