Douglas village became a centre of the sailcloth industry in the early 1700s. The linen mills at Donnybrook provided employment for hundreds of local people at their peak. St Patrick’s Woollen mills, founded in 1882, likewise provided ample employment for workers in the surrounding areas. The village expanded over time, becoming home to a number of prominent families including the Besnards, the Sewards and the Ronaynes. By the turn of the twentieth century, the electric tram had connected Douglas to Cork city.
|Mills at Donnybrook, exterior|
|Horses gathering in Douglas|
|Donnybrook mills, interior with workers|
|Signpost and cottages at Douglas|
|Tram at Douglas Village|
|Douglas, view of river|