In the late 1830s, Mulgrave Street was developed to provide more direct access between the Butter Exchange and the docks on the east side of St Patrick's Bridge. The project was financed by Cork butter merchants and named after the Earl of Mulgrave, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland. In 1902 Mulgrave Street was renamed in honour of the Irish Nationalist politician John Redmond (pictured left).
Peter Foynes, Walking Shandon: A guide to Cork's historic heart. Cork Butter Museum, 2007, p. 7