Casey’s furniture shop is one of the longest established businesses on Oliver Plunkett Street. The business, started in 1921 by John and Frances Casey, and was originally located at 37 Malboro Street. Casey's moved to its present location at 65 Oliver Plunkett Street in 1933.
Long-standing salesman with the company, William Scannell, when interviewed for this webpage, said that Casey’s also employed cabinet makers and furniture polishers in its early days. Casey’s made their own furniture which was then delivered by horse and cart. Casey’s ceased cabinet making in the 1960s. Pictured on the right is Con O'Shea (right) delivering furniture by horse and cart in 1945. Con worked with Casey's in 1927 and served with the business for over sixty years.
By the mid 1950s, John and Frances were succeeded as owners by their sons Brian and Jim Casey. In 1963, across the street from their existing premises at 65 Oliver Plunkett Street, Casey’s acquired Number 74. This site was previously occupied by the CAB Motor Company which used the site for offices and as a motor vehicle showroom. During the 1800s and into the early twentieth century these premises were the location of the limestone-faced Congregational Chapel. Part of the upper interior of this chapel is pictured below, showing a stained glass window at the rear. Two other retail spaces were rented from Casey's on the street frontage of this site: Kathleen O’Brien’s lingerie shop and Dineen’s butchers.
Under the stewardship of Brian and Jim Casey the business began to source high quality furniture from mainland Europe. Casey's also prided itself in its furniture from Irish manufacturers and its range of carpets and rugs. By the 1980s the days of delivering furniture by horse and cart were only a memory as Casey’s adapted bright yellow delivery vans which travelled around Cork and Munster. The business continued to expand in that decade and in 1989 a phase of renovation and extension of the shop display area at 65 Oliver Plunkett Street was concluded.
During the 1990s, David and Peter Casey were the next generation to become directors of the company. Another milestone for Casey's came in 2005 when it opened premises in Limerick city. Casey’s again expanded the showroom area behind 65 Oliver Plunkett Street, in 2011, around the internal Grafton Mall, and opened a new entrance to the store on Grand Parade. These expansions marked the growth of Casey’s from humble beginnings on Marlboro Street over ninety years ago. Today, as one of the long-established family businesses on Oliver Plunkett Street, Casey's Furniture contributes significantly to the street's special character.