Maps & Images

Saint Patrick's Bridge: First bridge

The foundation stone of the first Saint Patrick's Bridge was laid on the 25 July 1788. Michael Shanahan was the architect. A flood swept away much of the bridge, which was still under construction, on 17 January 1789. Michael Shanahan and an architect from London, named Hargrave supervised the rebuilding of the bridge and the new bridge was opened on 29 September 1789.

This first bridge was badly damaged in another flood on 2 November 1853 and a new bridge was designed by Sir John Benson. The second bridge is the one we know today and Sir John Arnott, the Mayor of Cork, opened the bridge on 12 December 1861.