Daniel McCarthy erected the McCarthy Monument near the former Diamond Hill quarry on the Blackrock Road in honour of his brother Alexander McCarthy in 1871. William B. Atkins designed the structure which is 25 feet high and is made from limestone. Richard Evans built the monument and the sculptor was Samuel Murphy. Bronze plaques showing scenes from the history of the McCarthy clan have been lost from the monument over the years.
Alexander McCarthy (1801-1868) was an M.P. for Cork in 1846 and became High Sheriff of the County in 1856. He died on 2 January 1868. McCarthy was a fine public speaker and a supporter of Daniel O'Connell's repeal movement.
Diamond Hill got its name from the discovery of amethyst, a semi-precious stone, in the limestone quarry in May 1777. The owner of the limestone quarry had to mount an armed guard over it to prevent people taking the amethyst stones. Many of the stones were cut for the wealthier citizens of Cork in the workshop of William Armor, a jeweller from London who had a shop in Peter Church Lane.
Blackrock Road / Bóthar na Dúcharraige