An early rare photograph of the construction of St. Colman's Cathedral, Cobh. The cathedral, designed by Ashlin and Pugin, was constructed between 1869 and 1915. In 1916, the famous carillon of bells was installed and the cathedral was consecrated on 12 August 1919. The talented Charles Guilfoyle Doran (1835-1909) supervised much of the construction work. Doran, an ardent Fenian, was an architect, a civil engineer and an antiquary who made notable contributions to the Journal of the Cork Historical and Archaeological Society.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Saint Colman's Cathedral (230KB)