On the 1 August 1903 the royal yacht The Victoria and Albert, with King Edward VII of England and his wife Queen Alexandra on board, dropped anchor in Queenstown (now Cobh). The royal couple had come to visit the Cork Greater International Exhibition which was held in present-day Fitzgerald's Park. Edward and Alexandra were conveyed to Cork on a tender and were met by the Lord Mayor Edward Fitzgerald, the Lady Mayoress, the Sheriff of Cork, Abraham Sutton, and other assembled dignitaries. After a brief visit to the Cork Park Racecourse where Edward presented colours to the Royal Irish Regiment and the Royal Munster Fusiliers, Edward and Alexandra were taken in the royal carriage through Cork city to the Grand Concert Hall on the grounds of the exhibition. View a picture of their procession here. The Cork Examiner reported that 'The city was thronged with people not only from all parts of Munster, but thousands of strangers such as are usually found in the wake of Royalty were to be met with in the streets'. Following the welcoming ceremony in the Grand Concert Hall and lunch in the Mansion House (now Cork Public Museum), Edward and Alexandra were escorted through the exhibition. They returned to Queenstown by a special train. Some days after the royal visit it was announced that Edward Fitzgerald would be made a baronet of the United Kingdom and Abraham Sutton would be knighted.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:St Patricks Hill royal decorations 1903 PDF(206KB)