This side view of the Holy Trinity Church affords a fine view of the adjoining friary. The Capuchin friary was in Blackamoor Lane from the middle of the eighteenth century until the 1850s. In 1855 the friars were living in a house at no. 8 George's Quay. Later they moved to a house at the junction of Fr Mathew Street and Fr Mathew Quay. The Cork Gas Company later occupied the site, which is currently occupied by Radio Telefis Éireann. In 1884 the friars moved to the splendid building shown in the photograph where they have resided since. As well as providing living quarters for the friars, the friary also provides rooms for a variety of self-help groups dealing with various problems. Both architecturally and socially the friary is an asset to the city.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Fr Mathew Memorial Church and Friary PDF(232KB)