The house at the junction of the North Mall and Wise's Hill was the residence of the distiller Francis Wise, after whose family the hill is named. The North Mall distillery was established on Reilly's Marsh around 1779, and by 1802 the Wise brothers were running the firm. Cork Distillers Co. bought the distillery in 1867. The North Mall distillery was described in detail in Alfred Barnard's The Whisky Distilleries of the United Kingdom, published in 1887. A fire severely damaged the distillery in 1920. The site of the old distillery is now jointly owned by University College Cork and the Mercy University Hospital.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Francis Wise House PDF(164KB)