Albert Quay was named for Prince Albert, the husband of Queen Victoria. Victoria and Albert visited Cork city on 3 August 1849. The quay has been renamed MacSwiney Quay in honour of Terence MacSwiney, a former Lord Mayor of Cork, who died after a prolonged hunger strike in Brixton Prison in 1920 during the War of Independence. Victoria and Albert had arrived at Cove on 2 August 1849 on board the royal yacht named, appropriately enough, The Victoria and Albert. Cove, as it was then called, was renamed Queenstown in honour of the visit.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:City Hall and Albert Quay, Cork PDF(181KB)