The two bow-fronted houses shown in the photograph are on George's Quay. They are among the finest examples of Georgian architecture in Cork city. The houses are at numbers seven and eight George's Quay. Number seven is the house on the left. Today they are called Trinity House 7 and Trinity House 8 and serve as offices for solicitors, financial advisors and a dental surgeon. They have a chequered history. George's Quay stands on ground reclaimed from the River Lee in the middle of the eighteenth century. It is named for George III of England. These houses date from the 1780s. Number eight was once the residence of Sir James Pitcairn, a surgeon in the South Infirmary from 1835 to 1841. In 1855 it became the home of the Capuchins who had left the old friary in Blackamoor Lane. When the Capuchins moved to new premises in 1871 the house became the residence of the curates serving the South Parish. In the early 1920s, the South Parish acquired the house at number 7 also. These houses continued to be used as the South Parish presbytery until 1965, when the priests of the parish moved to the new presbytery in Dunbar Street.
Download this image in PDF format from the link below:Bow-fronted houses, George's Quay PDF(180KB)