Bishop William Delaney laid the foundation stone of the Church of the Immaculate Conception in Enniskeane on 7 May 1871. Richard Evans designed the church in the Gothic style of architecture. It replaced a church which had been built about 1750.
Richard Evans lived at 1 Ashton Lawn, Blackrock Road and had his business premises at 12 Union Quay.
Corresponding article from the Irish Builder