The Sisters of Mercy established a convent and school in Bantry at Marino House in August 1861. Among the founding group were Mother de Chantal Coleman, Fanny Murphy and three other sisters. Fanny Murphy was a member of the wealthy Murphy family which had brewing and other business interests in Cork.
In 1862 they moved to a new building which was built with money donated by Fanny Murphy. The chapel shown in the illustration was completed in 1879.
Corresponding article from the Irish Builder