Page 42-43 - Windele_ed

Basic HTML Version

34
CORK.
The other objects worthy of remark, in this portion of the
City, are merely enumerated for the present, as their
description is reserved for another place. It formerly possessed
four Monastic establishments ; the Dominican, or St. Mary of
the Island ; the Augustinian, or Red-Abbey ; the Gill-Abbey,
and the Convent of St. Stephen. At present it contains the
Cathedral, the Church of St. Nicholas, and the Episopal Free-
church; the Roman Catholic parish church, a Capuchin
Convent and church, and a Nunnery of the Presentation order.
The Corn Exchange, Cork Union Work-House, Lunatic
Asylum, and South Charitable Infirmary, are also, in this
district.
A short distance to the south west, from the City, is
Lough
na famog,
(probably the Lough Ere of the Hajiology,) now
called the Lough of Cork, a considerable sheet of water
supplied by streams from the adjoining hills ; the high road
runs along its eastern shore, and the other sides are skirted by
grounds, unhappily without tree or shrub, to add a feature of
beauty or interest to the picture. It is the scene of one of
C
ROKER
'
S
charming Fairy Legends, detailing the bursting forth
of the lake, through the negligence of the princess
Fioruisge,
daughter of King
Corc.
In taking water from the charmed
fountain, she forgot to close the mouth of the well, and the
court, the gardens, the King, and his people, were buried
beneath the flowing waters. The incident is common to almost
every lake in Ireland. Six centuries ago, Cambrensis had a
similar legend concerning Lough Neagh, which Hollinshed has
repeated in a less diffusive style. " There was," he says, " in
old time, where the pool now standeth, vicious and beastlie
inhabitants. At which time was there an old saw in everie man
his mouth, that as soon as a well there springing, (which for
the superstitious reverence they bare it, was continuallie
CORK.
35
covered and signed,) were left open and unsigned, so soone
would so much water gush out of that well, as would forthwith
overwhelme the whole territorie. It happened at length, that an
old trot came thither to fetch water, and hearing her childe
whine, she ran with might and maine to dandle her babe,
forgetting the observance of the superstitious order tofore
used: But as she was returning backe, to have covered the
spring, the land was so farre overflown, as that it past hir
helpe; and shortly after, she, hir suckling, and all those that
were within the whole territorie, were drowned; and this
seemeth to carie more likelihood with it, because the fishers in
a cleare sunnie daie, see the steeples and other piles plainlie
and distinctlie in the water."
Glasheen,
at the extremity of this suburb, is an instance of
manufacturing vicissitude; it is a small quaint looking hamlet,
adjoining to the stream which conveys the superfluous water
of the Lough to the River Lee. Fifty years ago, (1787,) when
Cork-abounded in "
Cottoners,"
it possessed a Cotton Factory,
the first in Munster, and was worked on a scale of great
magnitude, by H
ENRY
and J
AMES
S
ADLIER
,
giving extensive
employment; its bleach ground was considered the first in the
kingdom. Hardly a vestige of these works now remain.
Between the Blackrock and Bohereenmanagh roads was
anciently a place of public recreation, several coins of
Elizabeth, and local copper tokens have been occasionally
discovered on the site. On a stone fixed in the wall at the road
side, is the following inscription. "
The ancient bounds
between Gortgarra and Gortcrush, all the wall being on
Gortgara. Ano. Dom.
1674."
An object of encreasing interest in this direction, is what
may be denominated the
Pere la chaise
of Cork—the new
Cemetry, (formerly a Botanic garden,) established by the
Capuchin Friars, a few