Page 97 - LIST OF CONTENTS

Basic HTML Version

Bullen 1870, 95, 146, 237, 355, 370). In 1603 Carew‟s wife,
Lady Joyce, took refuge in the castle during the revolt in
the city and subsequently Lord Mountjoy based himself at the
castle when he arrived to quell these disturbances (Brewer and
Bullen 1873, 9-11). Little more is heard of the castle. A
garrison of forty men was recommended for it in a report of
1659 (Mahaffy 1903, 687) while it was still functioning
during the siege of 1690 when it was occupied by Williamite
forces (Collins 1943, 65).
Hardiman‟s (c.1601), Phillips‟ (1685) and Storey‟s
(c.1690) maps of Cork show the location of the castle to have
been on the north side of what is now Dominick Street, where
the Old Butter Market stands. These maps also show that the
castle was of Z-plan with a main rectangular block running
east-west and projecting towers at the north-east and south-
east ends.
The 1663-4 survey of Cork refers to an “old Ivey Castle”
measuring 15 feet long and 15 feet broad, situated on the
south side of Shandon castle and owned by John Roch
(Simington 1942, 465). The Hardiman coll. map (c.1601) shows
a small square battlemented tower situated on the south side
of the road leading to Shandon castle (now Dominick Street),
and a short distance to the west of the castle. This may be
the castle described in the survey.
39. THE SUBURB OF FAYTH
On the south side of the city was another suburban
borough, known variously as “Faythe”, “le Fairgh”, “Fayd”,
which as Bolster (1972, 158-9) notes is probably derived from
the “faithche”, or green of Cork, mentioned in the twelfth
century Aislinge Meic Conglinne (Meyer 1892, 29). In the
Anglo-Norman period this name was applied to the feudal manor
of the Bishop of Cork, later known as the manor of St.
Finbar‟s (Webster 1930, 178; Bolster 1972, 159). Associated
with the manor was a borough, first referred to in 1282 in
the royal escheator‟s accounts for revenues from the
bishopric, which makes it clear that the bishop was the patron
of the borough (36 Report Deputy Keeper Public Records
Ireland, 60).
Earlier references to Fayth occur for instance in 1262
when the account of the city of Cork included, along with the
80 marks fee farm of the city, 6 marks rent from the Fayth (35
Report Deputy Keeper Public Records Ireland, 41). This was a
regular payment which Bolster (1972, 159) interprets as a
rent paid by the citizens of Cork to the crown for the use of
the green from which Fayth derived its name. When in 1376,
Edward III pardoned the city of Cork for its rents of that
year, the sum of 86 marks was said to include payment for “a
hamlet without the walls thereof, called, La Fathe” (Dawes
1916, 309). This suggests that the citizens of Cork held the
borough of Fayth to farm as they did the borough of Shandon.