Glen Rovers hurling and football club was founded in 1916 in the parish of Blackpool on the northside of Cork city.
The initial colours of the club were green, white, and amber. Later a black hoop was added to the jersey a mark of respect for leaders of the 1916 Rising.
The big breakthrough for Glen Rovers came in 1934 when the club won its first Cork county senior hurling championship. This was the beginning of a remarkable run of success for the club. Not only did the Glen go on to win eight successive senior county hurling titles from 1934 to 1941 (a feat not surpassed since) but in 39 years of Cork senior championship hurling between 1934 and 1972 the Glen emerged victorious on 23 of these occasions. Many players from the club have featured on Cork All-Ireland winning teams, and, notably, five of its players figured on Cork’s historic four-in-a-row senior All-Ireland winning teams of 1941-1944: Christy Ring, Jack Lynch, Paddy O’Donovan, Dr Jim Young, and Din Joe Buckley.
In the early 1970s the Glen Rovers club produced a special-edition publication entitled Spirit of the Glen, edited and compiled by Liam Ó Tuama (former player and Club Secretary of Glen Rovers). The book not only follows the on-field fortunes of the club at all age-levels during this period but also pays tribute to the remarkable commitment of its members and officials who devoted so much of their time and effort to the development and progress of the club.
Cork City Libraries is proud to be able to reproduce Spirit of the Glen in digital format. Select the image below to open the publication.
Cork City Libraries is grateful to Liam Ó Tuama (editor and compiler) for granting permission to add this publication to our Cork Past and Present website.