19th-century east Cork hunt-club postcards

Henry Boyle, 3rd Earl of Shannon, is credited with initiating hunting with hounds in the area of east Cork in 1840. He kennelled his foxhounds at the family seat in Castlemartyr (now a hotel). When these kennels were disbanded in the 1870s, most of the pack was purchased by the long-established Duhallow Hunt Club and by what was to become the United Hunt Club. This latter club, originally based two kilometres south of Rathcormac at Kilshannig, later made Midleton its home base.  

Five information postcards showing timetables of some of the meetings of the above clubs in 1874-6 can be viewed by selecting the links below.  Each card, measuring 121mm x 74mm, had been posted to George Saul Nason, Sandy Hill, Tallow, Co. Waterford. Note the red 'UHC' (United Hunt Club) logo on the earlier cards.

A great-grandniece of the above-named George Saul Nason, Mrs Penelope Spence — of Nanoose Bay, Vancouver Island, Canada — donated these five cards to Cork City Libraries in February 2016 after finding them among her family papers. We are grateful to Mrs Spence for taking the trouble to forward these rare items to us.

 
1874Nov16-28 A

1. Postcard with 16-28 November 1874 UHC timetable of
    meetings for Earl of Shannon’s Foxhounds. 

 ‌1874Dec18-24 A

2. Postcard with 14-24 December 1874 UHC timetable of
    meetings for Earl of Shannon’s Foxhounds. 

 ‌1874Dec28-1875Jan9 A

 3. Postcard with 28 December 1874 to 9 January 1875 UHC
     timetable of meetings for Earl of Shannon’s Foxhounds.  

 1876 March20-April7 A

 4. Postcard with 20 March to 7 April 1876 timetable of
     meetings for United Hunt Club Foxhounds.  

 1876 Oct20-Nov17 A

5. Postcard with 20 October to 17 November 1876
    timetable of meetings for United Hunt Club.

 

 


BrowseAloud
Cork City Libraries, Grand Parade, Cork, Ireland.
Contact us: Tel. +353 21 4924900 | Fax. + 353 21 4275684 | Email: libraries@corkcity.ie